Jack Langrishe opened up the first theater in Deadwood in the summer of 1876. And for more than three years, the facility was an important civic center. The first (illegal) trial of Jack McCall for killing Wild Bill Hickok was held there. Calamity Jane appeared there. So did acting troupes, minstrel shows, and more. The Congregational Church held weekly services there.
Langrishe later leased the building, which continued to be an entertainment venue, until it was destroyed in the Great Deadwood Fire in 1879.
Like this story? Try: Old West Poker