1881 was a big year in Tombstone—besides the gunfight. A grammar school was constructed and opened for students. The design was similar to that of the Cochise County Courthouse, leading some to believe that Frank Walker built both.
The Tombstone Grammar School was open for 60 years before being torn down in the early 1940s. The John L. Wyatt school administration building is now on that site. The school bell is at the courthouse belfry.