Tombstone’s Schieffelin Hall


It was June 1881 when Al Schieffelin—brother of Tombstone founder Ed Schieffelin—opened the theater and opera house that carried their last name.

Schieffelin Hall was one of the largest places of its kind in the Southwest, with about 575 seats. It was considered the upscale entertainment venue (as opposed to the Bird Cage, which was also a saloon and brothel).

It fell into disrepair by 1917. But restoration efforts began in 1964 (and continue through today). It’s now owned by the city and used for various civic meetings and theater performances.

Related Posts

  • victor-hall-blog

    The Victor, Colorado Union Hall was dedicated in March 1901.  It became the site of…

  • John Clum is best known for his time in Tombstone as mayor and founding editor…

  • Al Schieffelin  is not nearly as well-known as his older brother Ed—the man who founded…