Tombstone’s Schieffelin Hall

schieffelin-hall-edited-blog

It was June 1881 when Al Schieffelin—brother of Tombstone founder Ed Schieffelin—opened the theater and opera house that carried their last name.

Schieffelin Hall was one of the largest places of its kind in the Southwest, with about 575 seats. It was considered the upscale entertainment venue (as opposed to the Bird Cage, which was also a saloon and brothel).

It fell into disrepair by 1917. But restoration efforts began in 1964 (and continue through today). It’s now owned by the city and used for various civic meetings and theater performances.

Related Posts

  • Al Schieffelin  is not nearly as well-known as his older brother Ed—the man who founded…

  • The most famous gunfight of the Wild West era took place on the streets of…

  • According to George Parsons’ journal the first circus (Ryland’s) landed in Tombstone on September 22,…