Pastor Wright brought a different peace to the Wickedest Town in the West.
O.W. Wright decided to bring the Lord to Dodge City. He arrived there in 1877—before he was officially ordained as a pastor—and began preaching in saloons and dancehalls. Wright (after he was ordained) raised the money and oversaw the construction of the Presbyterian church, which opened in 1880. Several reports say that Wyatt Earp and Bat Masterson knew Pastor Wright in Dodge, even attending his services. The minister had a breakdown in 1882 and moved back east, where he led a New Jersey congregation for 30 years.