A Museum Without Items is…?
In the legendary Colorado mining town of Cripple Creek, Pearl DeVere opened the Parlour House in 1896 and made it a top-of-the-line brothel, with indoor plumbing and electricity. “Guests” had to provide references, get a credit check and put down $50 with each reservation.
The place remained a brothel until 1919, then it served various functions. In 1958, it became a museum owned by the Wild Horse Casino. The gambling establishment closed last fall, and Double Eagle Hotel and Casino bought the building.
Here’s the catch—the Wild Horse still owns all the furnishings and artifacts. The new owners don’t have $40,000 to purchase it. It isn’t much of a museum without the artifacts!
The nonprofit Old Homestead House Museum Association has started a fund-raising campaign, Save Our Brothel. They’ve got until July 1 to reach the goal.
719-689-2485 – Cripple-Creek.org