In the last decade, with the bicentennial of the Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery exploration of the West in 2004-2006, and the current sesquicentennial of the Civil War, heritage travel along historic trails throughout the United States has created a wide variety of opportunities for travelers seeking a greater understanding of life in 19th-century America.
Join our True West chroniclers as they share with us six Western travel adventures on three intrastate historic trails and highways in Arizona, Nebraska and North Dakota, and two interstate trails across Wyoming-Montana and Utah-Nevada-California that celebrate America’s rich and complex Western history.
* For more great Western heritage travel adventures please click on the links below.
- On the Trail of Old Arizona
- Texas Hill Country Trail: Cavalry, Cowboys and Germans
- Following North Dakota’s Sheyenne River
- Rambles Through the Nebraska Panhandle
- The Bozeman Trail
- On the California Trail: Salt Lake City to Sacramento